About Journey Planner
The National Journey Planner system provides door-to-door information on all available travel options for journeys to, from & within the Republic of Ireland.
The Journey Planner works in such a way that the Public Transport network is represented as an integrated network rather than a fragmented compilation of different operators and modes.
It uses standardised pictograms, fixed colour schemes and specific fonts across all the channels of dissemination which reinforce the concept of an integrated PT network to the customer.
Future Plans for the Journey Planner
The journey planner will be enhanced over the course of the coming months.
- The Journey Planner will include information for trips in Northern Ireland.
- Public transport information in the system will be expanded to include Rural Transport Services. This addition will provide information on where Rural Transport services operate and how to interchange between these services and regional and intercity routes.
- The smartphone Apps will include a “travel companion” feature which will include up to the minute travel alerts from fellow passengers on nearby services.
- The Apps will also use the phone’s location to provide feedback on progress in a journey – where you are in relation to the stop you should get off at.
A specialised Cycle Planner, initially covering the Greater Dublin Area, is planned for the system. The Cycle Planner will provide the customer with a totally new graphic user interface which will feature information for:
- Cycling to public transport
- Taking a bike on public transport
- Journey planning with the Dublin Bikes scheme
- Featured routes
- Leisure Routes
- Cycling to events
- Impacts of travel – Calorie counter / Co2 emissions