Frequently Asked Questions
A Leap Card is a reusable plastic smart card that can be used instead of paper tickets to pay-as-you-go for public transport services in Dublin. Time based tickets (e.g. a weekly or monthly ticket) will be made available on Leap Cards in the near future.
Travel Credit works in a similar way to mobile phone credit. Every time you use the card to travel the cost of the journey is deducted. If there is no credit on the card it cannot be used for any further journeys until it is 'Topped Up'. Customers can Top-Up their cards:
- Online at www.leapcard.ie
- At Leap Card agents
- At Luas Ticket Machines
- At DART and Commuter Rail Ticket Machines in the Short Hop Zone
Not at this time – this functionality will be added in the near future. These ticket options can still be purchased from the usual sales channels.
There are many hassle free ways to get a Leap Card.
OnlineYou can buy a Leap Card online at www.leapcard.ie
Leap Card agentsThere are over 400 Leap Card agent shops around Dublin where you can:
- Buy a Leap Card
- Top-Up your Leap Card
- Collect Travel Credit purchased online (if you nominated the agent network as your collection point).
A €5 fully refundable deposit is charged for Adult Leap Cards. When buying your Leap Card you must also top it up with a minimum of €5 Travel Credit.
Registering your Leap Card means no one can use your card's Travel Credit once you've reported it lost or stolen. You will also be able to view your card history and buy Travel Credit. If you already have your card you can register it at www.leapcard.ie. Your Leap Card will be protected against loss or theft.
- Once you register your card you don't need to complete an online form for every online Top-Up
- You can view your card history online
- You can manage additional Leap Cards through your account (e.g. your child's Leap Card)
Leap Card holders can Top-Up their card in over 400 agents throughout Dublin. Simply bring your Leap Card to the counter, and the person at the till will do the transaction for you.Leap Cards can also be Topped-Up at all Luas, DART and Commuter Rail ticket machines in the ‘Short Hop Zone’:
- Place the card in the pocket provided.
- Select the Top-Up amount from options shown on the screen.
- Insert the amount selected - notes/coins/credit or debit cards accepted.
- Remove the Leap Card from the pocket as indicated on screen.
- Go to www.leapcard.ie
- Click 'Top-Up'.
- Enter your card number.
- Select Top-Up amount and load location.
- Make your payment by credit/debit card.
- Collect your Top-Up at your nominated Load Location.
Currently Leap Cards can be used on:
- Dublin Bus
- DART and Commuter Rail
Dublin BusYour Leap Card can be used for travel on all Dublin Bus services, including Airlink, Xpresso and Nitelink.
DART and Commuter RailYour Leap Card can be used for rail travel between stations within the 'Short Hop Zone'. This Zone includes all stations in the Dublin area from Greystones to Balbriggan and commuter Stations from Dublin City Centre to Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.
LuasLeap Card can be used for travel on all Luas services.
The 'short hop zone' is Irish Rail’s Dublin area network. Leap Card can be used for rail travel between stations within the 'short hop zone'. This zone includes all stations in the Dublin area from Greystones to Balbriggan and commuter stations from Dublin City Centre to Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.
You can view your balance at a Luas Ticket Machine. Put your card in the card 'pocket' and then follow the instructions on the ticket vending machine screen. If you register your card at online, you can also view your balance on you online account.
Using your Leap Card to pay for your journey is generally cheaper than cash. Click here to view a summary of Leap Card fares.
Validators may on occasion fail to identify the Touch-On / Touch-Off. It is up to the customer to ensure the card has been read successfully. The two main reasons for card failure are:
1. Incorrect positioning of the Leap CardIf the Leap Card is not placed against the 'target' on the validator, it will not be read. Ensure that the card is held steadily against the 'target' on the validator for at least a second. Do not wave the card over the validator. Just hold it there until the beep. On DART and Commuter Rail, do not put the Leap Card into the horizontal paper ticket slot on a gate.
2. Other smart card interferenceRemove the Leap Card from your wallet or bag before using it. Other cards you may have in your wallet or bag can cause interference with your Leap Card, which will make it inoperable.
Did you Touch-Off last time you used the card? If not – for example, if you exited a platform without Touching-Off then the system will charge you the maximum fare. If you believe you did Touch-Off or if you believe there was a problem with the system on the day you travelled, then call customer care at 1850 824 824 and we’ll investigate the issue.